Employment Law Practice
- Wrongful Dismissal in Ontario
- Constructive Dismissal in Ontario
- Reasonable Notice
- Severance Packages
- Cause for Dismissal
- Employment Contracts
- Independent Contractor vs. Employee
- Human Rights and Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Statutory Complaints
- Non-Solicitation Agreements
- Non- Competition Agreements
- Damages for Bad Faith, Mental Distress and Personal Injury
- Personal Harassment or Bullying
- Employment Insurance Benefits
- Workplace Investigations
- Workers’ Compensation Claims
- Privacy Issues and the Workplace
- Unionized Employees and Duty of Fair Representation Complaints
- Conspiracy Claims in Employment Law
- Class Action / Mass Terminations
Severance Packages Lawyers
Am I entitled to severance pay?
Generally, all non-unionized employees who are dismissed without cause or for redundancy are entitled to notice of that termination or pay in place of notice, known as severance or a layoff package. If you have been dismissed without cause you will usually be provided with a written termination letter setting out an offer of severance or a typical severance package that the employer is prepared to pay, in exchange for a signed release.
We have represented countless clients whose employers did not offer fair severance packages. In many of these cases, employers offered a less than reasonable amount based on the assumption that many of their employees will just accept whatever they are offered – happy to get anything at all. Don’t become one of these statistics. Call Whitten & Lublin’s Severance Package Lawyers and let us help you get the severance you are entitled to.
How we can help you
Employers don’t usually make their first offer their best offer. If you were terminated with or without severance you should meet with our lawyers, each of whom have reviewed thousands of severance packages and are adept at negotiating various improvements. We have argued, and won, some of the largest ever wrongful dismissal judgements in Canada, including Canada’s largest ever group wrongful dismissal claim. Call us, we assist employees with typical severance packages, standard or common severance packages, executive severance packages, voluntary severance, and all forms of severance package negotiations.
Whitten & Lublin Employment & Labour lawyers will review and provide expertise and advice before you sign off on any termination document or severance package. We can ensure that the deal being offered is reasonable or fair, or, if not, we will fight on your behalf to ensure you are offered a considerably improved package – don’t settle for less; call us before signing off on your deal.
Factors considered in the assessment of severance
There are numerous factors that go into assessing what is a fair amount of severance. The most common are:
• Type of job you performed;
• Availability of other comparable employment opportunities; and
• Relevant precedents (comparable cases disputed in the courts).
Our Severance Calculator can assist you in determining an estimate for your severance, but this does not replace the need to speak with a lawyer directly.
Read our employment law articles about severance packages for more information or read about severance packages near you: