If you believe that you have been discriminated against at work, you have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate human rights tribunal or commission, where an adjudicator will ultimately have the ability to rule on the merits of your complaint.
If you believe that you have been discriminated against at work contact Whitten & Lublin Employment & Labour Lawyers. Our leading lawyers regularly manage clients’ claims of Workplace Human Rights violations. We will advise you and represent your complaint before the appropriate human rights tribunal or commission. An adjudicator will ultimately rule on the merits of your human rights complaint.
We recognize the importance of living free of discrimination and strongly believe in fairness and equality. We have defended and pursued countless cases of Workplace Human Rights violations. These cases typically include issues involving:
- Drug testing;
- Promotional decisions;
- Sexual harassment;
- Accommodation of disabilities or illnesses;
- Religious accommodation; and
- Discriminatory practices.
as they relate to:
- Place of origin;
- Ethnic origin;
- Record of offences;
- Marital status;
- Family status;
- Sexual orientation; and/or
- Mental or physical disability.
Human Rights Legislation Protects Employees from Discrimination
In Ontario, the Ontario Human Rights Code is the legislation that protects employees against discrimination in the workplace. Similarly, the Canadian Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination at federally regulated businesses such as banks, airlines and telecommunication companies.
Provincial and Federal human rights statutes state that every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to employment without discrimination. At Whitten & Lublin Employment & Labour Lawyers we help both employers and employees enforce human rights legislation in a myriad of capacities. For example:
- We work with employers to draft policies and establish procedures for investigating claims of discrimination
- We defend claims of discrimination before Human Rights Tribunals and all levels of Court in Ontario and other provinces.
- We have represented countless employees across Canada who have faced discrimination, real or perceived, in their workplace by supporting their claim before tribunals and all levels of Court.
Read our employment law articles about Human Rights and Discrimination for more information.